Thanks for visiting my speaking page. Here, you’ll find out more about me, my most-requested speaking topics, what you can expect, and how to book me.
As the founder of the Poverty Action Conference, I know what it is like to hire and work with speakers. I have had speakers put my audience to sleep. I have had speakers show up late, speak too fast and leave too early. I have even had speakers not show up at all!
I also know how words can move the human spirit when a speaker connects with an audience and delivers them passionately. I should. I co-captained my high-school and college football teams. I can give one hell of a halftime speech!
Hiring a speaker can be like going on a blind date. But, worse. I hope this page helps you learn more about me. If not. Take a look at my blog. I don’t hold much back.
A little more about me
As a teacher, serial founder and accidental social entrepreneur, I know how to work with others to rework the world.
I am currently an Associate Professor of Economics at the University of Mary Washington. I am on the Board of Directors of Students Helping Honduras. I am a former Clinton Global Initiative University mentor, Opportunity Collaboration alum and Feast on Good speaker. I was IMAGINE Social Good’s 1st Social Good Fellow. And, I am also a Board Member and judge for the annual Social Impact Media Awards.
I speak for a variety of audiences, including schools, conferences, churches, and nonprofit organizations.
What you can expect
Hire me to speak and here’s what you can expect:
- I’ll reply promptly to your emails and telephone calls.
- I’ll listen and make sure we are on the same page.
- I’ll promote your event on my social media channels.
- I’ll show up.
- I’ll be on time.
- No Diva Shit. Period. My people raised me right (except for the cussing).
- I’ll use thought-provoking stories and games to engage your audience in complex material.
- I’ll stick around and find ways to collaborate with attendees.
- I’ll follow up after the event for feedback.
Regular speaking topics
- Doing Good Responsibly
- Rewilding Students
- Client-Centered Microfinance
- Social Entrepreneurship
Frequently-requested talks & speeches
- “Do-Goodernomics: A Merciless Market Analysis of Our Motivations to Do Good”
- “The 4o Year Old Do-Gooder Adolescent”
- “Sidekick Manifesto: In the Story of Poverty’s End, We can only be Sidekicks”
- “Microfinance: Game of Loans”
- “Tribal Teaching: Rewild Your Students, Rewild Yourself”
What people are saying
“Shawn presented during the first-ever Kiva U Summit. He was rated among the highest of the 47 speakers at the event and was considered ‘inspiring,’ ‘innovative’ and ‘enlightening’ by Summit attendees.” – Jessica Hansen (KIVA)
“Shawn was engaging, naturally weaving his personal entrepreneurial narrative into his professional pursuits, and provided some honest and keen insights into the challenges – and rewards – of being a social entrepreneur.” – Melissa Paulson (Notre Dame’s Irish Impact Social Entrepreneurship Conference)
And, if those don’t do it for you, this one will:
“Shawn is a double threat – he knows his topic area better than anyone and he is fun and engaging to listen to. He is always at the top of my list when I’m looking for someone to speak or lead a conversation.” – Dan Morrison
The Next Step